South Korea’s military said the test of the missile took place near Bukchang in South Pyeongan Province at 5:30 a.m. Saturday local time, Yonhap reports.
North Korean ballistic missile tests are banned by the United Nations because they’re seen as part of the North’s push for a nuclear-tipped missile that can hit the USA mainland. The launch, which failed shortly after lift-off, came after recent USA pressure on North Korea to cease its provocative behavior.
“Immediately after the aircraft carrier arrived in the Sea of Japan, South Korea and the U.S. strike forces launched a drill from 6:00 pm (0900 GMT) Saturday”, a defence ministry spokesman told AFP.
The missile test came just hours after US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson warned the United Nations Security Council that failure to curb North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs could lead to “catastrophic consequences”.
But both China and Russian Federation rejected USA threat of military force at a meeting of the Security Council on the matter. “I don’t know. I mean, we’ll see“, the president responded coyly with all the seriousness of answering to a question about whether he will order dessert.
In a wide ranging interview for Face The Nation on CBS, he said he had not yet decided on whether the U.S. would launch military action against Kim Jong Un, but said he didn’t want to give away “all our moves” anyway. “The president is someone who’s made it very clear that he’s not going to telegraph his next moves”.
President Donald Trump has warned he will be ready to take action when North Korea successfully develops missiles after its latest test failed again. Duterte said the USA needed to be prudent and patient, instead of going to war with North Korea. “I mean, we’ll see“.
North Korea is believed to be refining the technology to mount a nuclear warhead on an intercontinental missile which could potentially reach U.S. targets.
US President Donald Trump told Reuters in an interview on Thursday that North Korea was his biggest global challenge and a “major, major conflict” with it was possible over its nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
Woo Taehee, South Korea’s vice trade minister, said the country was not notified of any trade renegotiation and that there had been “no pre-talks” with the USA regarding the five-year-old trade deal. Asked on ABC’s “This Week” if Trump would hold talks with Kim, Priebus said: “I’m not sure”. “And I will tell you, a man that I’ve gotten to like and respect – the president of China, President Xi – I believe has been putting pressure on him also”, Trump said in the interview.