Terminally ill baby Charlie Gard to spend final days in hospice

Charlie Gard: No agreement over where baby moved for final days
Charlie Gard's parents given until noon tomorrow to agree arrangements for his death

27 July, 2017

Charlie Gard's parents have until 12:00 p.m. tomorrow to set up their home to Great Ormond Street Hospital's (GOSH) liking, or their son will be transferred to a hospice and have his life support pulled there.

A High Court judge said if they could not agree by then, Charlie would be moved to a hospice and life support treatment would end soon after.

Grant Armstrong, the lawyer for Ms Yates and Charlie's father Chris Gard, paid tribute to the nurses who have offered to help, working on their days off or between shifts.

Francis says the parents now accept that the only options for their son "are the hospital or the hospice", and called it a "very, very sad conclusion".

The parents of Charlie Gard have found a doctor willing to look after the terminally ill baby so they can spend time with him away from hospital during the last days of his life.

The parents of 11-month-old Charlie Gard are dropping their request for the terminally-ill infant to die at home, a United Kingdom court heard on Wednesday.

Charlie suffers from mitochondrial depletion syndrome, a rare genetic disease.

The presiding judge said if both parties cannot come to an agreement by Thursday, July 27, Charlie will be moved to a hospice and his life support will be withdrawn soon after.

On Tuesday, they said they hoped to bring their son, whose 1st birthday is next week, home to die.

The Thursday deadline is meant to yield a plan for what happens after the baby is transferred to a hospice. His parents hope to have a week with him after he has been moved to a final location.

Earlier hearings by British and European courts had upheld lower court rulings that the infant's life support should be ended so that he can die with dignity. A ventilation tube keeps him alive.

"I became involved in Charlie's case when I was contacted by his parents, and I subsequently agreed to speak with his doctors to discuss whether an experimental therapy being developed in my lab could provide meaningful clinical improvement in Charlie's condition", Dr. Hirano said in a statement. Yates said amid sobs.

The Telegraph noted Armstrong, who leads the couple's legal team, suggested to the judge that hospital bosses were placing obstacles in Charlie's parents' way. He is not expected to survive for more than a few hours once his ventilator is removed.

In the Royal Court of Justice in London, Connie stated, "Charlie was left to lie [in Great Ormond Street Hospital] and deteriorate".

But Pope Francis, President Trump and members of the U.S. Congress had argued that the child should be treated as they parents requested.

Despite all of his problems, Charlie's parents - and millions like them - believe that Charlie is a valuable, living human being who should be given a chance to live.

More news