11 June, 2017
At a press conference, police chief Wolfgang Fromm said Koblenz police had chose to suspend the festival after receiving a warning on Friday morning that a non-German national with terrorist connections had gained access to security-relevant sites with false identity details.
Koblenz police said the event had been suspended due to "concrete leads, which do not allow us to eliminate a possible terror threat".
But on Saturday morning, festival organizers said Rock am Ring 2017 would go on.
German authorities allowed a popular rock festival to resume on Saturday after a scare over people with suspected links to Islamic extremism prompted them to curtail its opening night.
"We have to support the police investigations", said the statement.
"The organizers of Rock am Ring and the police are working nightshifts to take all necessary measures to guarantee a safe festival".
Some 85,000 people were expected to attend over the three days.
The German police further said that after the Manchester attack they had boosted security for the concert, substantially raising the number of security personnel on duty to 1,200.
Extra security precautions had been put in place in the wake of the bombing at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England.
The cancellation was announced on the Rock am Ring Facebook page.