19 May, 2017
But they're also a potential choking hazard, as evidenced by the story of one Texas mom and her daughter.
Several schools have banned fidget spinners because they've become a distraction. The toys were originally aimed at helping students with autism or attention disorders concentrate, but took over classrooms with a variety of students this spring.
In the Facebook post, Ms Joneic wrote she and Britton were on their way to a swim meet when she "made an odd retching noise" in the back seat.
She says Britton managed to say she'd put part of the toy in her mouth to clean it and accidentally swallowed it. But the physicians there couldn't figure out where exactly in her airway the spinner piece-a metal bushing about the size of a quarter-had lodged itself.
Unless you've been off the grid, you've probably seen the latest in kid toy crazes: the fidget spinner.
Kelly rushed Britton straight to hospital where doctors struggled to remove the fidget spinner.
Doctors said it's important for parents to monitor their kids' play, even if there isn't a warning on the device they're using.
"After multiple, very stressful attempts to place an IV, Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object".
Joniec said Britton ended up having to have surgery to get it removed, and she is reportedly doing fine. "Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while".
While spinners and fidget cubes are marketed as tools to help people focus and control symptoms of PTSD, ADHD and more, Kollins said there is no evidence to support this claim.
"I wish to offer some word of caution to parents", she warned.
She pointed out that the bushings pop out easily and can pose a potential choking hazard for young children.
It is not known exactly how many fidget spinners have been sold in recent weeks, though versions of toy take up the top 14 spots on Amazon's best-selling toys list.