24 May, 2017
A coroner says a healthy 16-year-old SC high school student died from heart problems after drinking too much caffeine. During that two-hour time frame, Davis also consumed an energy drink and a large Diet Mountain Dew.
A county coroner has concluded that a South Carolina High School student who collapsed in class and subsequently passed away last month died as a result of drinking too much caffeine.
Watts made the announcement during a Monday news conference with Davis' father, Sean.
"Like all parents, we worry about our kids as they grow up".
Cripe's father, Sean Cripe, added, "It wasn't a vehicle crash that took his life".
The American Beverage Association, which represents the makers of nearly all energy drinks sold in America, maintains that its energy drinks can be safely consumed in moderation.
The teen had no history of medical problems, Watts said.
Davis weighed a little more than 200 pounds (90 kg) but would not have been considered morbidly obese, Mr Watts said.
Watts says like many, Cripe was doing something he thought was totally harmless, but Watts said the drinks can be very unsafe.
Cripe's father, Sean Cripe, asked fellow parents to teach their kids about the dangers of consuming such highly caffeinated beverages. "But it wasn't a auto crash that took his life; instead, it was an energy drink", says Sean Cripe. After that he drank the Diet Mountain Dew and the energy drink.
Cripe's official cause of death was ruled to be arrhythmia caused by the consumption of caffeine in the hours immediately prior to his collapse and death.
The Health Canada website states that the average adult may safely consume 400 mg of caffeine a day at a moderate rate.
"Adolescents the recommendation is not more than 100 milligrams a day, which would be about a cup of coffee or certainly over that what you'd get in a 12 ounce soda". Instead, it was an energy drink.
How to check caffeine overdose?
The guidelines from the AAP also said that the side-effects of these drinks include irregular heartbeats and changes in blood pressure.