WLTX reported that Davis Allen Cripe collapsed at Spring Hill High School on April 26 and later died at a hospital.
Mr. Watts told Reuters that physicians on his staff determined that Davis died from a “Caffeine-induced cardiac event causing a probable arrhythmia”. He said that the teen was healthy and had no family history of a medical problem. “[He], like so many other kids and so many other people out there today, were doing something that they thought was totally harmless, and that was ingesting lots of caffeine“, Watts said. “I think the hard thing is teaching restraints to adolescents and with peer pressure, and if you’ve got an energy drink, (they) hear the word “energy” and that’s kind of exciting”. “But it wasn’t a vehicle crash that took his life; instead, it was an energy drink“, says Sean Cripe.
Sean Cripe, the teen’s father, told CNN that he hopes, if nothing else comes out of his son’s death, at least parents and children will realize the dangers that can be brought about by caffeinated beverages. But it wasn’t a vehicle crash that took his life.
The American Beverage Association, which represents the makers of nearly all energy drinks sold in America, maintains that its energy drinks can be safely consumed in moderation.
“Teenagers and students please stop buying them”, said Sean.
The New Zealand Nutrition Foundation recommends consuming caffeine in moderation, around 300-400mg or three cups of coffee each day.
“That was the biggest issue, how he consumed that energy drink”, Watts said.
The third incident cited by the website was about a Japanese man who died after mixing energy drinks with caffeine pills.
Adolescents should limit caffeine consumption and children shouldn’t drink it at all.
Davis reportedly bought the latte at McDonald’s around 12:30 pm and then drank the Diet Mountain Dew and the energy drink after that.